2000s Rap - 75 BPM

2000s Rap - 75 BPM



     Here's a little background on my DJ history: Back in 2016, I had my first consistent exposure to Serato mixing. For decades previous, I had dabbled exclusively in vinyl. As you can imagine, most of my track selection in my mixes was mostly concoctions of songs that I wanted to mix together for so long but didn't have access to. It was like an unrestricted monster was just unleashed - I googled BPMs to all of my favorite tracks from genres across the board. It was as if a whole new world had opened up.

Another point I failed to mention was that I was playing live mixes to audiences in local bars (thanks to DJ Maximus for letting me dabble in Serato mixing on his gear). I quickly learned, since I wasn't yet acclimated to the culture of live mixing for a modern audience, that my song selection was esoteric for a modern top 40 and pop radio rap bar crowd. A Dj, at least one who is compensated for a certain aesthetic objective, should know how to read a room or at least stick to the genre that pertains to the demo of the crowd/venue. Again, thanks to my friend for putting up with my eclectic mixes as I learned on my own how to adapt to a crowd.

This Video Mix was taken (mostly) track by track from one of my first Serato Mixes at Rush Cocktail Lounge in Buena Park, CA. I think it's a good example of a certain turning point in my DJ road where I needed to experiment to learn a lesson. The mix sounds like what an outsider would think of what scenesters listen to. I derived most of my track influence from movies with pop rap soundtracks like The Bling Ring or the Fast & Furious movies, as well as Die Antwoord & Crystal Castles (two bands I was unrelentingly obsessed with at the time) so they sound a bit dated. I used to hate, nay loathe, modern rap. Now, through osmosis of hanging with a specific sub-cultured group of people, I learned to like - even love - it. That makes the mix even more fun when you love the music you are playing.

  2000s Rap - 75 BPM from 4DFP on Vimeo.

Sorry for the rambling in this post. Enjoy!

Tracklist:

1. Enter The Ninja by Die Antwoord
2. Purple Lamborghini by Skrillex & Rick Ross
3. How We Roll by Don Omar featuring Busta Rhymes, Reek Da Villian, & J-Doe
4. Smokin' & Drinkin' by Danny Brown
5. Burial by Yogi & Skrillex featuring Pusha-T
6. Right Above It by Lil Wayne featuring Drake
7. Power by Kanye West
8. Backseat Freestyle by Kendrick Lamar
9. Gucci Gucci by Kreayshawn
10. Pu$$y by Iggy Azalea
11. Banana Brain by Die Antwoord
12. Black Panther by Crystal Castles

Comments

Popular Posts